The different methods and techniques of wood sanding.
There are two common methods:
- Sand by hand
- Sand using a power sander
Tools for wood sanding by hand
For wood sanding by hand DIY job, you will need medium- and fine-grade sandpaper, a cork sanding block, some clean cloth and white spirit, and a portable workbench.
Steps for sanding wood by hand
- To sand cut ends, cut a strip of medium-grade sandpaper and wrap it round to the sanding block.
- Keep the sanding block flat on the wood in order to avoid rounding off the corner.
- Change to fine sandpaper and repeat to finish the job.
- Take note that you can also use fine sandpaper and the sanding block to give planed surfaces a final smoothing.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust once you have finished the sanding job.
- Wipe the sanded surface with a pad of clean cloth moistened with a little white spirit to remove all the sanding dust.
Using a power sander as a tool for wood sanding
In this case, you will need a power sander with a supply of sanding discs, a clean cloth and white spirit, and a workbench.
Steps for sanding wood with a power sander
- Keep the soleplate flat as you sand cut ends.
- When smoothing planed surfaces, move the sander along the wood in the direction of the grain.